HEC updates

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
w3526602
Info: (That's my old RAF number)

Re: HEC updates

Post by w3526602 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:37 pm

and as to whether it is just talk or bull i can only hope but not get my hopes to high :cactus: .

Hi Brad,

Reminds me of the time that my mate (Social worker ... needle exchange) told me that one of his clients had offered him a Bugatti (without any wheels) for £1,000. I offered to put up the £1,000, if he bought the car, and we would sell and split the profit. He agreed.

I showed him my Millers Guide. "That's the one", he said pointing at a picture, and his voice went up a few octaves as he carried on reading ....
"Three hundred and forty five thousand pounds ..... :aaagh: :nana1: :cheers: :gold: :nana: ".

I manage to borrow a set of vintage wheel that might have fitted. But when my mate went round to clinch the deal, the blokes mother said it was a home-made body on a Triumph Herald chassis. Doh!

It might still have been worth the price, but my mate said it was not safe to visit by myself as the bloke was unstable. There was mention of a Champ in the yard.

romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:11 pm

What a night and i finally managed some sleep with to much going through my head not just trying to work out what my next step was regards the making of an interior at the bulkhead end frame work wise :shakehead: nothing seemed to say in my mind yes that is what i need to do :stars: .

Time for a brew and put up the frame work then spread the awning out to air over the frame work against the back of HEC just to give me an idea of what the awning looked like and i was well pleased but forgot to get my lass to take a picture due to my mind being eleswhere :whistle: .

From what i could see my helper in his haste to erect the awning has put a hole in it by forcing the cover over the frame work :aaagh: but luckily it was around the ground area so should be easy enough to stitch and will not be seen hopefully and to be honest he is accident prone :laugh: so i should have known better bless him.

Back to the frame work of the rear cupboard and i have now decided where i was going to use nuts and bolts i have decided to fit riv-nuts to the galvanized capping behind the passenger seat and although i got the holes drilled ready to fit the riv-nuts i had snapped a pilot drill so with bad things normally running in three's i packed up before anything else went wrong :thud: .

catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .

PS. Sorry i forgot to say i am now the owner of a small lathe with milling attachment so to my surprise no bull :whistle:
w3526602

Post by w3526602 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:01 pm

and i have now decided where i was going to use nuts and bolt

Hi Brad,

What size riv-nuts are you using, and what tool are you using to set them?

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:10 pm

G'day John, having used all my imperial riv-nuts that's for the 1/4-5/16 and 3/8 bolt sizes i now use metric just because they are easier to come by and i have the large medium and rather large compression tool, however in the past i have the riv-nut in a vice tightened till the riv-nut has started to fold then fitted the riv-nut in the hole drilled and finished compression with a good quality nut bolt and washers.

If i could just come across the type used on the military vehicles i would gladly use those and stick to an imperial thread but they went metric in the end so i don't worry and use what i can due to it just being my hobby.

If i can get my lass to put up some pictures i will but she is still not top of the world so i don't ask :whistle: .

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
w3526602

Post by w3526602 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:57 am

Hi Brad,

Thanks for that.

I'm using M6 riv-nuts. I bought a cheapo puller (£15?) that wasn't up to the job ... it split asunder under my "firm hand-shake".

Then I bought a tiny gadget (£25) that works by two wedges sliding past each other, pulled by an M6 bolt. It works, but is very cumbersome for such a tiny tool ... pulling on the spanner tends to pull the riv-nut out of it's hole, until it has expanded enough to get a grip. The advertising spiel suggested that the bolt could be wound in with a cordless drill. Hmm?

What I would like, but probably hasn't been invented yet, is a small puller, connected by a braided hose, to a hydraulic foot pump.

I assume that the effort required is proportional to the bolt size? Maybe the cheapo tongs would be suitable for M4 or M5?

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:03 pm

G'day John, due to you knowing what you are doing with computers mine are american sold by my Mac tools guy who comes round the workshops in a truck if that is any help :shrug: .

Although i have had these tools for a good few years from what i gather after phoning a friend at the workshop he still sells them so you might be able to veiw them on line :wink: .

Catch you later. Brad :tiphat:
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:26 pm

What a pain but it's a good job i have a lot of patience due to now having to knock up metric bolts and set screws having used most of my very old stock that i have collected over the years i have got the lone of a very good set of Metric taps and dies.

I am only using the above because it will be covered by wood frame work where my glue and screws can't be used so i guess you could call them my anchor bolts that just hold the frame work to the landrover back body :wink:

Anyway the wood i have used to support the main front rail had to be measured and cut around the dog guard support which also meant drilling the wood to match the riv-nuts fitted earlier and with this bolted in place i moved on to cut some diagonal strips of wood that will be glued and screwed so that in the end will form the basis for the work top come cupboard and base for the small gas hob.

I guess it might sound as though what i am using is a tad on the heavy side but marine ply is what will be used to cover everything in and that's including the sliding cupboard doors so it will be strong enough having done this sort of fitment in all my trucks. As for pictures speaking a thousand words that as you know is in Janies hands so we might be in for a little while unless i ask nicely.

I hope tomorrow goes better than today with my tape measure and pencil although confusion is never far away :stars: .

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat:
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:55 pm

Hey up chaps, i am on a roll if only a slow one but i have started on the diagonal supports for my work top :whistle: , why diagonal :embarassed: well to be honest i don't have a lot of long lengths of timber and what i do have i might need later on so there is plenty of measuring which is good for my learning curve and the cutting of angles that i think help the understanding side of my bonce {head}.

To be honest i really enjoyed today but the rain and darkness started to hinder my progress what with measuring in the end by lead light then maneuvering my bulk out of the 88 with the tailgate laid horizontal and sheet thrown over my pull out canopy to keep out the elements it must have been a sight to watch :shakehead: but i guess it amuses the neighbors :laugh: .

Anyway after a few mistakes although the wood and glue were not wasted i called it a night which was kind of frustrating but then there is always another day not started on :wink: .

PS. i have just realized having been a bit hand fisted with the wood glue i have found out it is better than swafega for getting ingrained oil from your fingers as i sat having a sarnie and a brew while picking the glue from my finger ends :laugh:
w3526602

Post by w3526602 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:06 am

PS. i have just realized having been a bit hand fisted with the wood glue i have found out it is better than swafega for getting ingrained oil from your fingers as i sat having a sarnie and a brew while picking the glue from my finger ends :laugh:

Hi Brad,

Get Janie to make some bread, give you the left over dough. It is very satisfying to knead the dough, watch it get blacker and blacker as your hand turn pink.

Hmmm! Reminds me of the story of the one-armed cook in a film about an Oz sheep station. He rolled rissoles in his arm pit.

" He had to go, though his rissoles tasted great ... wonder what he put in them?"

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:47 pm

Well chaps, after a stumble in the night and what seemed like waking half the street :whistle: but really it was only my lass and my dog who were not happy :rant: never mind my legs not being in gear with my body i eventually got going all be it well after dinner :embarassed: .

Anyway with a brew in hand i contemplated my next move then gathered my bundles of wood that could be classed as kinderling to some{sticks for lighting fires} but sort of valuable to me because wood can get a bit expensive especially to someone like me who makes a lot of mistakes till i really get going :wink: .

Anyway with some light misty rain i cracked on measuring-marking-cutting drilling pilot holes-countersinking then finally gluing and screwing everything together my work top finally came together with just the final front strip of slightly better quality wood to measure up and fit.

Although i thought i had put the marine ply that i will be using safe and dry it somehow has got from a shed to outside so is now wet but should be ok i hope when dried out in the garage :shrug: , as for Mr know body who i thought had left home when my boys grew up i either have some Elves down my yard or i might have left it outside while in one of my states of confusion :stars: :whistle: .